Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Latest Breaking News

Showing Original Post only (View all)

BumRushDaShow

(172,308 posts)
Tue May 19, 2026, 05:24 PM Tuesday

Troops say Army ignored request for more medical support before deadly attack on Kuwait base [View all]

Source: CBS News

Updated on: May 19, 2026 / 8:16 AM EDT


A U.S. Army unit asked to bulk up medical support weeks before a fatal Iranian strike on their command post in Kuwait, but they were ignored, soldiers told CBS News. Some of the survivors of the attack also said at least one soldier who was killed could have been saved if there had been more medical resources onsite. The soldiers' accounts suggest the Pentagon didn't adequately prepare U.S. personnel for Iran's retaliatory strike that killed six U.S. service members and wounded 20.

It was the deadliest attack on American troops since the Iran war began, and the worst since 2021. "This was a failure," Major Stephen Ramsbottom said in an interview with CBS News. He said he believed Master Sergeant Nicole Amor could have survived her wounds had there been a doctor, a fixed aid station or more than one ambulance at the post. "She could have been saved," he said. "She fought the whole way and was trying to stay alive."

Ramsbottom told CBS News he expected a convoy of aid to rush in to treat the dozens of wounded pulled from the rubble, only to discover no one was coming. "I wanted to see like a line of ambulances coming towards us or something," said Ramsbottom, who was with the Army's 103rd Sustainment Command at a forward operating base in Kuwait. "And there wasn't that. It was like, oh man, we're on our own."

Ramsbottom is one of eight soldiers from the reserve unit who have disputed the Pentagon's account of the incident in interviews with CBS News. Soldiers previously told CBS News they were left unprotected from the drone attack despite intelligence showing Iran was targeting their position in Kuwait.

Read more: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/troops-army-medical-support-iran-kuwait-attack/



REFERENCES

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143625084
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143625400
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143626050
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143630636
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143645084
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143646958
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143647085
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143656400
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143657211
9 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Latest Discussions»Latest Breaking News»Troops say Army ignored r...